What is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is considered one of the most popular combinations of plastic surgery procedures, which is designed to address the most common problems experienced by women who have been pregnant and breastfed. When one undergoes a mommy makeover, she will have multiple procedures performed during the same session that are all aimed at improving the physical changes that are associated with bearing children. Part of why it gained so much popularity is due to its lack of set components. Each procedure in the mommy makeover is tailored to fit the unique needs of the patient. That said, it usually begins with a breast and abdomen contouring procedure.
The Elements Included in a Mommy Makeover
Since the breasts and stomach are the main areas that change after being pregnant and giving birth, the mommy makeover tends to focus on these two areas. After a woman’s breasts return to size after they endure breastfeeding, they typically lose volume and begin to sag. Additionally, the abdominal muscles, tissues, and skin all stretch to accommodate the baby and, unfortunately, they often do not bounce back into shape after the baby is born.
Some of the procedures that are usually part of a mommy makeover include:
1. Thigh lift
2. Brest augmentation, breast lift, or breast reduction
4. Tummy tuck or circumferential abdominoplasty
Breast implants will be able to restore fullness for those who have lost volume, while a breast lift will improve shape. If you have disproportionately large breasts that are uncomfortable, a breast reduction surgery can provide a smaller and more balanced appearance.
To restore a woman’s figure to what it was prior to pregnancy, common techniques used in a mommy makeover include an abdominoplasty. Depending on your surgeon’s recommendations, the mommy makeover can be done within a single operation, or for safety purposes, it can be done over the course of multiple surgical sessions.
What You Should Know About a Mommy Makeover
If you are planning on undergoing a mommy makeover, there are some things you should know before moving forward:
1. Your recovery period can take anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks. However, this will largely depend on the procedures that you have done for your makeover. It is generally safe to plan on recovery taking up to 2 weeks, during which you can expect to be bruised, sore, and swollen.
2. You will need to ask for help. After your mommy makeover, you will be very tired and very sore for several days, which will make routine chores impossible to do. Therefore, it is important that you enlist some assistance from either a family member or a close friend to help around the house.
3. You cannot drive until you have ceased to take certain pain medications. Pain medications are necessary for a comfortable recovery, but it is important that you never get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while on narcotics.
4. You cannot lift heavy things, including your children. This means no vigorous exercise or lifting for at least 6 weeks after your mommy maker. You should also refrain from picking up children who are over 10 pounds.
5. Swelling can last for at least 6 months or more. Despite the fact that many of the benefits of a mommy makeover are immediate, its true results cannot usually be seen until all of the swelling subsides. This takes anywhere from 6 months to a year.
6. You still need to hit the gym. Of course, you want to make sure you keep the benefits of your mommy makeover. Therefore, it is important that you stick to a healthy way of living, which should include a balanced diet and a regular exercise regimen.
Westfield Mommy Makeover Surgery
If your childbearing years are over and you are ready to reclaim the body you had prior to pregnancy, you might want to consider undergoing a mommy makeover. At Burnett Plastic Surgery, we tailor each mommy makeover to address the individual needs of every patient who seeks our help.
Get the boost in confidence you deserve and contact us at (908) 524-0063 to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help you achieve your goals.