Often casually referred to as a nose job, rhinoplasty is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures performed every year. Both men and women seek to have this procedure done for a vast range of reasons, from purely aesthetic purposes to health-related concerns. Given the different goals a patient might have for getting this procedure done, there are different types of rhinoplasty surgeries available to address the specific desires of an individual, which is why it is crucial for prospective patients to have a clear understanding of their options and which might best suit their needs.
Here are some of the benefits that a rhinoplasty surgery can provide:
- Improve confidence: This is among one of the most common reasons why someone might choose to seek a rhinoplasty procedure. Those who have a misshapen or asymmetrical nose choose this surgery to correct some of the following defects:
- A nose that is either too short or too long
- A nose that is very wide or too narrow
- A nose with an angled tip
- A nose that lacks symmetry
- A nose with pinched or flared nostrils
- A nose that bears a hump
While these issues are purely aesthetic, having them addressed can allow a person to feel more comfortable when it comes to interacting with others without the fear of being mocked, or feeling pitied.
- Improve nose functionality: Nasal deformities can cause major health problems, including sinusitis, recurring nosebleeds, noisy breathing and snoring, and even the inability to properly taste or smell food. Oftentimes, these deformities are caused by nasal trauma, or might be present at birth. However, there are also some medical conditions that can change the structure of a nose. For example, Wegner’s Disease, allergic fungal sinusitis, relapsing polychondritis, and Sarcoidosis are all capable of having a structural impact on an individual’s nose.
- Correct chronic stuffiness: Millions of Americans suffer from chronic nasal stuffiness, which often does not respond to conventional forms of treatment. For example, a crooked septum might be inhibiting your airways, or the overgrowth of your nasal passage might make you feel chronically stuffy. In cases such as these, a rhinoplasty can help you in ways other treatments would fail.
- Improve breathing in old age: While it is rarely noted, one of the most common causes of nasal passage blockage is actually aging. How does this happen? Some body tissues and bones weaken and droop with age and, as a result, the nasal passages become prone to collapsing inwards, obstructing airflow. To address this, elderly individuals often use nasal strips to enhance breathing, while others simply put up with it or attempt to breathe through their mouth. This does not have to be a condition you put up with. Rhinoplasty can reposition the underlying bone and cartilage to open up blocked airways.
- Energy boost: When a person’s nasal passages reduce the rate of air intake, this lowers the amount of oxygen that is available in the bloodstream. This can result in fatigue or, in more severe cases, respiratory failure and death. Additionally, blocked nasal passages can also cause a build-up of carbon dioxide, which could poison a person from the inside.
- Improve the quality of sleep: If your nasal passages are blocked, chances are it might be difficult for you to get a good night’s rest. This is because your condition could make you more likely to snore and wake up frequently throughout the night, making it nearly impossible to sleep well. Clearing your nasal passages via rhinoplasty can resolve this.
Rhinoplasty Procedure in Westfield
If you are uncomfortable with the size and shape of your nose, rhinoplasty can address both any aesthetic or health concerns you might have. At Burnett Plastic Surgery, we offer this frequently requested cosmetic procedure. Our Westfield plastic surgeon specializes in rhinoplasty. We will customize this procedure to your face in order to address your specific surgical goals.
Contact our office today at (908) 524-0063 to request a consultation with our Westfield plastic surgeon.